Happy Independence Day!


US IRS data shows that the super-wealthy, the top 0.1 percent of households continue to pull ahead as their incomes climbed nearly 9 percent to an average of $6.75 million. For the top 1 percent of households, income surged 7.7 percent to $1.36 million. While in the great recession for the average Joe we saw income declines, now finally in the last years of Obama’s presidency, income rose 3.9 percent last year to $48,768. This only shows that inequality continues to grow and the middle class continues to be squeezed out of a more equitable share of work and pay.

The concentration of wealth in the top 1 % is growing and the rest of the 99% continue to fall behind, even in the good years of a growing economy. I agree with Bill Gates and Warren Buffett that the greatest accumulation of wealth in human history, must be put to good use. The fortunate ones must in their wisdom, share the fruits of nature’s bounty, as their horn of cornucopia runneth over. The time has come where the modern nonprofit and charitable organizations, can finally make a difference, in our human condition. Never before have we had the means to provide housing, water, food, energy, education and healthcare to the poorest of the poor. We also know enough about our earth and global warming and environment, to be able to do this through green energy and smarter cities. We have destroyed so many species in the struggle for our own survival, that it is time now to reverse the trend and build for the survival of all creatures. Let evolution take its course and let man not be the destroyer of countless fauna and flora, in our quest for world dominance. We have the means and the intelligence now, to be smarter and more evolved, in how we approach life and nature around us. Our brightest are engaged in research and development in scientific fields at a pace not known before, and we have a great future; if we just pivot our vision and outlook, towards peace and development.

On this day when in the Battle of Somme a million men were killed or wounded in World War 1, we must never forget, what ruin human divisions and war can bring. Let us learn to be compassionate, caring and kind, as all this talk of bigotry and decisiveness, will only bring war and ruin on all of us. Call me an idealistic liberal with no understanding of our human nature, but I still want to take that first step towards Independence of thought and action, on our Independence Day weekend. As we celebrate our Independence let us remember the words that all men are created equal and we must pursue happiness for all and not just the ones we identify with through religion, race, gender, culture or social standing. We are and will remain in this together to our dying day, as our forefathers learned in their great wisdom. It is time now for us to learn anew from them, how to live with each other, and pursue happiness together for the greater good.

What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness? -Jean Jacques Rousseau, philosopher and author (28 Jun 1712-1778)

This entry was posted in Happiness, Hope, Life is valuable, Nature, Self actualization by Rajiv Kapoor. Bookmark the permalink.

About Rajiv Kapoor

Rajiv Kapoor was born in New Delhi. He was educated by the Jesuits at St Xavier’s, and graduated with Honors, from The University of Delhi. Rajiv Kapoor did his MBA in International Business from Penn State and is now settled in the US. He has traveled across most states of India, when he was working on modernization of Rice Mills, and understands their diverse culture and history. This book is a historical fiction, dedicated to his city of birth. His extensive research dives deep into a critical moment, in India’s long history, for his latest Historical Thriller “The Peacock Throne Wars”..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.